Well, I have managed to stay well through the winter despite Hayden catching everything...that is until last week. I started feeling bad on Tuesday and by Friday, I was done for, so I stayed home.
Hayden still has the cough that he's had for a while, but I thought things were looking up. Garrett took him to daycare on Friday so I could rest and he could have his birthday celebration. His teacher called Friday afternoon right after they had finished the cookies and cupcakes and said he was running fever. So, I rolled out of bed and went to get him. I gave him some Tylenol and kept an eye on him the rest of the night.
Well, the fever continued through Saturday despite Tylenol and Motrin so we took him to the clinic by our house Saturday evening. The doctor there took one look at him and said we needed to go to the children's ER. She didn't even charge us for the visit, just told us to go straight there. He started shaking from the high fever and I was getting a little scared at this point.
When we arrived at the ER, his temperature was 104.3. That place was packed so we waited and waited and waited some more. The less than friendly nurse did give him Tylenol and he was able to sleep in my arms for a little bit.
He has been on antibiotics for an ear infection for almost two weeks (because the first one didn't work and we had to switch) so the doctor was curious as to what was causing the high fever. The antibiotics should have killed any bacterial infection. After a thorough exam, chest x-ray and urinalysis he ruled out meningitis, pneumonia and kidney infection so it was determined that he has a bad viral infection. We got home at 2:30 a.m. As long as we control the fever, he seems to be feeling okay today.

Yes, I took a picture of Hayden and his daddy sleeping while we waited for the results. Isn't he cute in his dinosaur pj's? The pants aren't actually on. We had to strip him down to try to get his fever to go down. His daddy is pretty cute too as he sleeps on my purse. I got stuck with the chair.Let me just tell you that it is not fun when they do a chest x-ray on little ones. They restrain them in this plastic papoose thing with their arms above their head. He was s-c-r-e-a-m-i-n-g and it was almost too much to handle. Then they had to cath him to get a urine sample...more restraining, more screaming. It breaks my heart that he has to deal with all of this, but he is so tough. We are just thankful that it wasn't anything too serious. It is kind of a strange feeling to wish that he only has a viral infection. Let's be honest...I wish that he never had any of it at all. But, despite all of it, I am glad that we have been able to treat and manage his illnesses for the most part and they haven't really slowed him down. He will get through all of this sickness, for we believe in a Great Physician.
I am still not feeling great. I think it is all finally catching up to me. Hayden has his one year well check on Tuesday and Garrett is having his back surgery on Wednesday.
Think of us this week, if you will.
This too shall pass...


Ya'll are all in my prayers! God has his hands on little Hayden and your family! Stay strong!!
ReplyDeleteWow! No wonder your body finally gave in, you have been through so much and are doing such a great job! We will keep you and your family in our prayers! Good luck this week
ReplyDelete