I went to the cardiologist yesterday to talk to him about the results of my echocardiogram and 24 hour holter monitor from October 13th.
I really expected it to be nothing at all and go on about my business. Well, that was not exactly the case. I showed supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) on my holter monitor. SVT is any tachycardic rhythm originating above the ventricular tissue. A tachycardic rhythm refers to a heart rate that exceeds the normal range for a resting heartrate which should be 60 - 100 bpm for my age. There were times when my heart rate would be anywhere from 130 - 170 while I was just sitting. I had to laugh when he asked me if I was working out at 1:30 in the afternoon. My workout plan has been pretty much non-existent and I most certainly was not working out in my office.
While this is typically not life threatening, episodes should be treated or prevented. My doctor would like to do more tests such as an MRI, but not while I am pregnant obviously. He recommended taking beta blockers, but told me it was my choice if I wanted to take them during pregnancy. I would be given a very low dose. If I choose not to take them right now, I simply would have to deal with the symptoms. I do not feel comfortable taking anything during pregnancy, I only take Tylenol when absolutely necessary, so I think for now I will just manage the symptoms unless they become worse. He supports that decision, but if my symptoms become more severe and I begin fainting, then he said we have to talk.
I asked him how the stress of labor would affect all of this and he said I can be given beta blockers when I get ready to deliver if needed. If something crazy happens during labor and they feel that myself or the baby is at risk, a caesarean section would be done.
I went to the appointment by myself and did just fine. Then I was driving home and "Mighty to Save" came on the radio and I lost it. I am confident that everything is going to be fine, but sometimes we are given simple reminders that we are not in control. If it were just me I had to worry about it would be one thing. However, life is not just about me anymore and I don't want any of this to affect this sweet baby I am carrying.
No matter how big or small this is, He is mighty to save and I find comfort in that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Yes He is mighty!! He can do great things and I encourage you to stay Faithful and Patient! I totally understand those "breakdowns" when a song like that comes on the radio and your by yourself in the car (well,not recently anyways--haha)! But, God is moving through you at that very moment and touching heart and letting you know it's all going to be ok. Just leave it ALL in His hands! =) Luv ya
ReplyDeleteI hate that you have to deal with all of that. But I do love what you said, he is so in control...what am awesome feeling.
ReplyDeleteI miss seeing you.