Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Part II: The Bad

I was moved to postpartum around 10 a.m. and my labor and delivery nurse told them to keep an eye out for hemorrhaging.

I had gotten up several times to go to the bathroom and felt fine. I got a little light headed once, but I thought it was normal. The nurse gave me a methergine shot to try to control the bleeding. We had already asked about pitocin to help with this and my nurse said they didn't do that. We found this very strange because that is a pretty standard procedure. We also asked her if she had called my doctor and she said she had. She told me she had been a labor and delivery nurse for 14 years and she "had it under control."

That afternoon, Garrett helped me to the bathroom and I started feeling like I was going to faint. I tried telling the nurse several times that I was going to pass out and she kept asking me if I could make it back to the bed. Obviously, I couldn't do that.  At this point, I knew something was wrong.

Part III: The Ugly

I remember sitting in the bathroom repeatedly saying that I was going to pass out and I woke up several minutes later in a wheelchair with no idea where I was. They were waving ammonia in front of me trying to wake me up and I thought they were pouring something in my mouth. I could hear, but I couldn't see anything. When I could finally see there were about six people working on me in the wheelchair. A male doctor gave me a towel to cover up with (my gown had been taken off during all of this) while he lifted me back into the bed.

My nurse had already taken out my IV so they had to stick me several more times to get another one started. I began crying at this point because I was confused and scared and really didn't know what was going on.

When my doctor came in the room Garrett asked him if they had been calling him and it was apparent that he was not fully aware of the severity of the situation until they told him I had passed out.

Dr. C told me he had several different things he was going to do and if those didn't work I would either have to have a blood transfusion or a D&C.

I was given Cyotec and started on pitocin an hour later because they didn't have any right then. How do you run out of pitocin on a postpartum unit? When the nurse brought it back in, I didn't even have an IV pump. She had to go find one. She apologized for it taking so long and proceeds to say, "We've had a lot of bleeders today." Are you serious?

So, after having methergine, cyotec and pitocin I was in a lot of pain because all three make the uterus contract in order to stop bleeding.

When I was finally stable, no one came to check on me for more than three hours. Garrett had to ask them several times to come check on me before anyone showed up.

Here's the worst part of all of this. When my doctor showed up, there was NOTHING written in my chart. I had been in postpartum for five hours with obvious concerns and she hadn't even been charting. I was already supposed to have been on a low dose of pitocin, but she failed to ever administer it. All of that could have been avoided if she had only done what she was supposed to and asked for help sooner.

When I passed out, she asked Garrett to push the call button for help because she was the only person working that part of the floor. There was no one to help and people had to come from other floors. What if I had been by myself?

They left the dirty linens in the room, never took the food trays and only took the trash out twice in the two and a half days I was there. So everything from the nursing staff to housekeeping was absolutely horrible.

Apparently, I drew a bad card that day. This is a brand new women's hospital and the place to have a baby if you ask anyone here.

My doctor admitted that they were at fault and some procedures needed to be changed. I hope that things are done differently so that someone else doesn't have to endure what I did.  


This was very disappointing after having an amazing labor and delivery that could not have gone more smoothly. My hemoglobin level dropped to 8 and I am on iron supplements for anemia. God was in control of the situation though and I got to come home with a beautiful, healthy baby boy and that is what I want to remember about his birth.

1 comment:

  1. You poor thing!! How awful!! Pretty crazy that your drug free labor and delivery was EASIER than your recovery!! I can't even imagine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS