Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
2 Corinthians 9:7
We've all heard that verse a million times, but do we really think about what it means? This verse keeps surfacing in my head as I am learning to step out of my comfort zone.
We take turns hosting our community group and while I love to plan things, make the invitations and find the perfect decorations, I am not what you would call the "hostess with the mostest." Let's not even talk about the fact that I. don't. cook.
When I didn't have any children, my house was really clean, laundry was folded and put away, dishes were washed and everything was in its place. When I had one child, the house was sort of clean, laundry was washed at least, dishes usually made it to the dishwasher and most things were in their place. And now...ha! Laundry can usually be found anywhere but where it belongs, the playroom looks like a bomb went off and nothing is ever in its place. This causes me much stress, but there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day regardless of how hard I try to manage my time between work and the boys.
As I prepared for our group to come over last night, I kept reminding myself of this verse. Yes, it took me a long time to get everything in order, but I am always blessed to open up our home to these people that have helped me find a place here and it makes it all worth it.
I have started volunteering for something through our church and last week was my first week to go. I was running late and didn't know exactly where I was going and was a little apprehensive about going because of the location. As I was frantically trying to get there in time thinking about exactly what I was getting myself into, I again reminded myself of this verse and said a quick prayer that if this is where God wanted me to be that day everything would work out perfectly. And it did. I made it all the way across town, and I live in a really big town, through interstate traffic with three minutes to spare. The girl I had been emailing with pulled up at the same time I did and showed me right where to go. I was worried about having both kids and if I would even be of any use, but Hayden was a picture perfect child (which is not normally the cast at all) and Hudson slept most of the time. I am glad I didn't just throw in the towel and not go because I was having a rough morning. I needed to be there.
It comes down to the simple fact that if we are giving wholeheartedly, unconditionally and cheerfully, God works out the rest. Whether it is time, money, talents, whatever it may be, you will be blessed in return.


No comments:
Post a Comment