We started Hayden on a gluten-free diet yesterday and so far it has gone smoothly. His doctors recommended that we try it to see if it helps with his respiratory infections. He hasn't been diagnosed with celiac disease yet, but it is highly possible that he is gluten intolerant. We're going to fully commit two weeks to only feeding him gluten-free foods and see what happens. We already eat organic as much as possible (and affordable!) and he has been dairy-free for the most part for two years. I am keeping a daily journal of what he eats to see if we notice any trends.
We are going to the doctor again tomorrow about his tonsils. They are H-U-G-E! They are definitely bigger than they were a couple of months ago. I honestly don't know how he even swallows. It is just crazy. Overall, he feels okay on a day-to-day basis, but he does not feel great and I want to give him every opportunity to feel great.
I went to the grocery store on Saturday and we all know that stresses me out anyway, but I was really lost this time. Gluten is in things you wouldn't even think of, like deli meat for instance. I kept having to google things on my phone to check. Luckily, where we live there are a lot of options and the store had clearly marked gluten-free sections so that really helped.
He is a picky eater and that makes this even harder, but he's done great the first two days.
Here's some of the things he's had:
fruit - blackberries, blueberries, grapes, strawberries, cantaloupe. He loves fruit, but you have to be careful not to consume too much because believe it or not, too much of a good thing can be bad because of the sugar in fruit and he would eat it all day if I let him.
GF cereal - he loved this and never noticed a difference.
GF breakfast bars - not so much. He knew they weren't the same as the Kashi and Nutri-grain bars he is used to.
GF organic peanut butter and jelly
GF rice pasta
Brown rice bread
GF crackers
GF baked chips
GF yogurt
salmon - fish doesn't have gluten
If anyone is on a gluten-free diet and has suggestions, I would love to hear them!
Monday, March 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


One of my best friend's little boy (he's 9 now) has celiac. It's HARD, but it can be done - especially in today's market. Our kids will eat quinoa, so he may like that in certain recipes? Or brown rice or rice chips, corn tortillas, corn chips? Have you had the gf donuts in the freezer section - YUM!!! We've also made brown rice treats with brown rice cereal, agave, and peanut or almond butter - like rice krispy treats! Does he like oatmeal? Praying for you guys and sweet little Hayden.
ReplyDelete